January 1, 2015

Best Metal Albums of 2014

Greetings.  Once again, we've reached the end of the year/the beginning of a new year and that means it's time for me to lay out my Best of 2014 in metal.

I have to say, in my usual (overly, perhaps) honest and candid way, that I could literally copy-and-paste the opening of my Best of 2013 list here. Other than the date, nothing has changed!

The same criteria apply that I laid out last year: riffs and enjoyment.  Albums that don't have quality riffs were shoved aside.  That's all I'm going to say about it, though I'm sure that some will question my choices on an individual basis.

Now, let's get down to business, starting with my "Just Missed".  No honorable mentions in 2014; it wasn't a good enough year for that.


Despite my general distaste toward 2014, I think there were a number of bands that debuted strongly.  Among the most important ones I will name four: Alraune, Bastard Sapling, Nightfell, and Yautja.  I think all of these bands (plus others that debuted in 2014) will be making their mark in the future and have already gotten off to a fine start, even if none of them are representative of the "best" as I see it.


What follows are the best six albums I could come up with.

6.) Avichi - Catharsis Absolute
-It feels like this album has been with me for longer than it has.  I guess that's the result of being released in January.  And while it took me a few listens to warm up to Markuszewski's approach (it's considerably more melodic than The Devil's Fractal), it's been a constant and an album I've come to enjoy quite a bit.  I had five that I thought might be better, but Catharsis Absolute earned a spot after 10-15 listens and so it's here.  Listen to Catharsis Absolute on Bandcamp.

5.) Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole
-I've spoken about the problem of first listens before on the blog.  It was this album more than any other that I heard in 2014 that posed a significant obstacle when it comes to getting to know it.  The opening track "Go and Hope" is easily one of the worst openers I've ever heard.  It's basically a mood piece that would be better served being sequenced in the middle of the album.  But the band put it right up front; in a way, I have to respect the balls it takes to sequence the record like that.  The next two tracks break out the riffs, and while the album as a whole focuses on atmosphere more than riffs (not something I care for, but the riffs are high-quality), I think it is more than deserving of a place here.  It's not often that you hear a death metal band take the tack that Emptiness has here.  To do so while pursuing quality presentation is something I can appreciate.  Listen to Nothing but the Whole on Bandcamp.

4.) Murmur - Murmur
-Another excellent debut.  What I like most about Murmur's S/T is how, after the acoustic interlude "Recuerdos", the songs are basically interconnected. They flow one to the next until the end of the record, a tactic that makes for generally easier and more enjoyable listening.  Like Emptiness, Murmur takes a metal sub-genre (this time, black metal) and subverts it with grandiose flourishes and an ambition that is not seen enough.  That said, our friends in USBM seem to take a more experimental bent in creating their music than other sub-genres or other countries where things can be a bit staid.  A lot of talent here and an excellent beginning.  Listen to Murmur on Bandcamp.

3.) Tombs - Savage Gold
-Sometimes a specific outside voice is needed to propel a band over the top. In the case of Tombs, that person is noted musician/producer Erik Rutan.  His work on Savage Gold is unquestionably among the best of 2014.  Before Savage Gold, Tombs was an interesting band, but a bit flawed in their approach. Adding a second guitarist and working with Rutan proved to be excellent choices and the results show in the album.  Other than "Deathtripper", Savage Gold is a thoroughly engaging opus.  Now, Tombs has arrived for certain.  Listen to Savage Gold on Bandcamp.

2.) Occultation - Silence in the Ancestral House
-While I usually throw out first listen results, there was something immediately impressive about Occultation's sophomore LP.  If the band were a sports team, I'd call it "teamwork".  Alas, music is not sports.  To be sure, there's an undeniable rapport between all three members.  Nameless Void's guitar work is of particular importance to me; he attacks the listener with melody, of course, but there is also plenty of syncopation and variation in the rhythms.  "The Place Behind the Sky" is notable in that it takes a typical verse-chorus structure, but blows it to pieces in the middle as the band goes on an NWOBHM-esque spree.  It is quite exciting.  And Silence in the Ancestral House as a whole is a considerable improvement on an already rich and multi-faceted musical experience.  The production by Kurt Ballou is excellent, combining Nameless Void's trebly guitars with a more balanced presentation.  Listen to Silence in the Ancestral House on Bandcamp

1.) Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise
-Simply put, the best metal album of 2014.  In a year where most bands were content to underwhelm or underachieve (purposefully or otherwise), Thantifaxath swung for the fences.  It'd be one thing if the album displayed failed ambitions.  It's quite another when it has no weak tracks and has proven to be the best of the entire year.  The main strength behind Thantifaxath is the seething and searing anger shown throughout in the vocal approach.  There is a great authenticity to the vocals that I cannot help but appreciate, even though I prefer guitar over every other element in the mix.  Thantifaxath provides their share of high-quality riffs, but they usually play second fiddle to the vocals and symphonic sounds.  Sacred White Noise is a step above the rest because it is a finely crafted album, as opposed to a collection of songs.  All of these pieces fit together and were lovingly formed into a whole bolstered by the weight of furious anger.  Listen to Sacred White Noise on Bandcamp.

Adios 2014.  Welcome, 2015.


Thank you to all my readers, followers on Twitter, and to Bandcamp, the bands, and labels responsible for bringing us the awesome music listed here.