October 13, 2015

2015 NFL Power Rankings, Week 5

Oddly, Week 5 was one of the few where very little change took place in my top ten.  I don't expect it to happen again quite like it did, either.

As far as the picks go, I was 10-4 (straight up, per usual).  I honestly didn't mind getting last night's game wrong; even though I took San Diego I really wanted to see Pittsburgh win.  Once Roethlisberger comes back, I think they have a stronger team all around.

The bye weeks have helped the Rankings stay relatively stable from last week to this week.  Another odd factoid is that after last year when no teams were 4-0, six teams have reached that mark.  As my long-time readers know, I like undefeated teams and prize them above all others.

And there just may be more good teams in the NFL this year than in the last three to five.  Maybe.

Here are the Rankings for Week 5:




1.) New England (4-0) [no change]
 They're the best until somebody beats 'em, and even then they might still be the best.  No one is going 16-0 (though it looks like a few will challenge double-digits), though, so they'll fall at some point.  That point is not today, by any means.  Brady and co. head to Indy for what ought to be the biggest beatdown we'll see in 2015.  And if it isn't, then the Colts will deserve some serious credit.
 Next opponent: at Indianapolis (10/18)

2.) Green Bay (5-0) [no change]
 Even when Rodgers has a sub-par game (verging on terrible, to be honest), the rest of the team picks him up.  And to be fair, they were playing the Rams. The Rams have gotten up for precisely two games out of five so far.  So that one was a fait accompli even though Rodgers' incredibly impressive streak at Lambeau went poof.  And quietly, the Packers' offense has diminished just a bit since the beatdown on Monday night against KC a couple weeks ago.
 Next opponent: vs. San Diego (10/18)

3.) Denver (5-0) [no change]
 It sounds like people want to crown Denver as the "worst" undefeated team. I laugh at such a notion, even though I obviously have to honor its validity. Denver is most certainly the weakest of the undefeated teams at this juncture, but they have Peyton Manning and a pretty incredible defense.  They'll be fine, I think, I'm just not sure when we'll see what we're used to seeing out of Peyton and the rest of the offense.  Maybe it won't come until the weather gets colder (which would be pretty ironic, considering).
 Next opponent: at Cleveland (10/18)

4.) Atlanta (5-0) [no change]
 I think I made mention of my disdain for the term "escape" when it comes to NFL teams and wins.  Well, Atlanta most certainly escaped with a win as they got a pick-six in OT.  It was grand larceny.  Their reward for going 5-0 is to go into New Orleans on Thursday.  Even though New Orleans isn't good...I can't say I'm all that confident about the Falcons' chances.
 Next opponent: at New Orleans (10/15)

5.) Carolina (4-0) [no change]
 After the bye, Carolina must be wondering if they'll catch a break and have someone knock off Atlanta.  Or maybe they're just concerned about their own team at the moment.  Either way, the NFC South is looking competitive, even if it's really just a two team race.  It'll be a long wait for them to square off, as well; they don't play until Week 14.
 Next opponent: at Seattle (10/18)

6.) Cincinnati (5-0) [no change]
 Amidst the deluge of "they're for real!" comments, I stand here and tell you this, readers: the Bengals have yet to play a prime-time game.  Put your trust in them after they win in prime-time and not a moment before.  And even then, remain skeptical until the playoffs come around.  That's what I'm going to do, and I think it'll serve me well.
 Next opponent: at Buffalo (10/18)

7.) Arizona (4-1) [no change]
 Fresh off a home loss to St. Louis, the Cardinals got really mad...or they just listened to Arians, who was right on the money when he told 'em they weren't squat yet.  And that's how a beatdown happens.  I think it would have gone that way anyway considering that Detroit was 0-4 coming in, but one could hardly expect them to pull their starter in order to go with Dan Orlovsky.  Hell, I'm chuckling just thinking about it.
 Next opponent: at Pittsburgh (10/18)

8.) NY Jets (3-1) [no change]
 The bye came at a fortuitous time, I suppose.  Coming off a successful London trip, the Jets got a week to rest up in order to play...Washington.  At home, no less.  Well, I can't really say anything dramatic about this game, now can I?
 Next opponent: vs. Washington (10/18)

9.) Indianapolis (3-2) [no change]
 Starting Matt Hasselbeck didn't hurt the Colts in the slightest.  What helped them get another win, of course, is the unavoidable fact that the AFC South (aside from the Colts) is pretty much garbage.  I think the three other teams in the division have combined for three wins.  Not exactly sterling competition.
 Next opponent: vs. New England (10/18)

10.) Buffalo (3-2) [-]
 I'm taking a chance, I guess.  I could have gone with Pittsburgh or the NY Giants...but I had a feeling Buffalo would be better than they've shown so far and there has yet to be enough evidence to prove that wrong.  Then again, if they fall to the Bengals...yeah.
 Next opponent: vs. Cincinnati (10/18)

That's all for this week.  See you next week.