September 10, 2015

Bleach 642 - Baby, Hold Your Hand 5

Another chapter of Bleach is out, so let's talk about it.

Spoilers and odd flashbacks after the cut.




I think this mini-arc is finally nearing a conclusion.

As far as I'm concerned, it's about damn time; I've gone on record multiple times over the last few weeks regarding Mayuri's fights.

Also, the revelation of Nemu's creation/evolution doesn't pique my interest in the same way that the previous mini-arc with Haschwald and Bazz-B did.

Part of my discontent with Mayuri vs. Pernida has to do with the so-called "antagonist" as well.  Pernida was intriguing at the beginning of the fight because I knew nothing about him.  Learning that he's the left arm of the Soul King and that he can evolve his powers to become nigh-unbeatable was interesting, but functioned more as a footnote than something worthy of devoting 5-7 chapters toward.

So when I look at the fight at the macro level, I see two characters that I don't really have an attachment to, in addition to the oversized length typical of these fights.  Then we have the origin of Nemu thrown into the mix in a haphazard fashion (although in a less boneheaded fashion than we might have originally presumed) that, while nice to know, doesn't really rise to a great level of importance, simply on the basis that her character is not notable.

Sure, she's interesting on the basis of being a Vice-Captain and her relation to Mayuri.  Other than that, there isn't much to her, which is difficult to expect given that Kubo has roughly 500 characters in the manga.

If Nemu were on a similar level as Kyouraku, Kenpachi, or Unohana, then I would find her much more interesting.

I feel similarly about the fight, especially at this point where I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of reading it and tired of talking about it.

So hopefully, next week we can talk about something else.