July 31, 2013

Suffocation - Pinnacle of Bedlam (2013)

Since reuniting in 2002, Suffocation has released four albums.  They also managed to keep the lineup intact until former drummer Mike Smith took his leave (again) last year.  They brought in another former drummer, Dave Culross, to take his place and record nine of the ten tracks on Pinnacle of Bedlam (Smith drums on closer "Beginning of Sorrow").

Honestly, I think their "pinnacle" was 2004's Souls to Deny.  None of the albums that have followed have had the same impact.  Perhaps it is a matter of timing.  Or maybe the songwriting isn't as accomplished.  Reading about Souls to Deny online seems to indicate a general consensus of being neither as good as their early-90's material or not as good as the 2007 self-titled or 2009's Blood Oath.  I appear to be in the minority, then.

Pinnacle of Bedlam does little to change the story.  In fact, outside of "Sullen Days", whose intro/outro is pretty much the only time the band steps outside of their approach, Suffocation plays it close to the vest.  And "Sullen Days" is no album highlight by any means; the intro/outro sounds like emotional manipulation that is worthy of appearing on a pop album.  In fact, if one were to adapt the guitar melody vocally, I'm sure the tears would flow.  As I have no interest in melody over rhythm, especially when the band could be crushing me with riffs, I have no interest in that song, despite the relative quality of the rest of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I expect more than competence. I can enjoy a competently written and played record, to be sure.  But when the band in question is Suffocation, competence doesn't cut the proverbial mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment