April 17, 2014

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Day 1

Greetings all!  I'm starting another new entry that I think I'll actually be able to handle since it won't take all that long, really.

I started keeping up with the NHL this season (back in October, to be precise).  I've enjoyed it so far and was looking forward to the playoffs like everyone else.  Well, now they're here and the first night is through.

Keep in mind that since I'm basically still a noob at this sport, I can't really give the detailed analysis that I could for football or basketball (let's face it, I have years of experience in watching and playing both sports badly).  Still, it's all in good fun, right?

Basically, my intent is to recap the night's action with a couple of quick takes on the three games that happened.

First up, Montreal vs. Tampa Bay.

Montreal took the first game of their series with the Lightning in Tampa.  I found this interesting as the Lightning were positioned to have home ice in the first round, at least, and so far it didn't help much.  That said, coming into the series there was some thought that Carey Price (Montreal/Team Canada goalie) would be showing off his excellent form from Sochi.  Not just yet. Maybe now people will back off the Hart Trophy talk too, because while the Canadiens got the win, he didn't look like an MVP.

Steven Stamkos, on the other hand, is pretty good.  And that's an understatement.

Still, failing to get a guy on Dale Weise (who came over via trade from Vancouver, I believe) when he's at the front of the net is bad.  Even I realize that.

Next, Columbus vs. Pittsburgh.

The Penguins were really trying to give this one away, it seemed.  Then the Blue Jackets just seemed to crumble.  I was hoping they'd get the equalizer in the 3rd and take it to OT like the first game.  Alas, this was not to be, and the Blue Jackets are still looking for their first win in the postseason.  That seems hard to believe, but apparently they've only been to the playoffs once before.  Who knew?  Not this guy.

Pittsburgh's power play was the best and Sidney Crosby led the NHL in points, and both of those were on display.  Of course, the game-winner was put in by Brent Sutter, so I guess he's the real hero of this one.  Either that, or Pittsburgh's power play, which basically turned the game around.

That blown lead will likely keep the Columbus players and coaches up.

Finally, Dallas vs. Anaheim.

I was actually able to watch the 3rd period of this game, where the Stars got close to tying it up but couldn't quite punch it in.

The first period belonged to Anaheim without a doubt.  They established a three-goal lead and it looked like they might put up a few more before the game ended in a total laugher.  Alas, it got a bit closer than they might have liked.

Before the series began, I was thinking that Matt Beleskey might show up and do some damage.  What do you know, that's exactly what happened in Game 1.  Unfortunately, he was limited with a lower-body injury and I'm not sure how he'll bounce back in Game 2.  Also, Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf took a puck to the face with :16 to go in the game.

It was mentioned how he didn't wear a shield.  Well, to me, based on where the puck hit him, he would have had to be wearing a goalie's mask to block that shot.  And it still would have stung a little, I bet.  At any rate, I'm sure he'll be back shortly.

Tomorrow night, four series start.  And the President's Trophy winners, the Boston Bruins, face off against Detroit on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment