December 23, 2014

2014 NFL Power Rankings, Week 16

One week to go, people.

If there's anything I hate, it's breaking a rule that I've set for myself.

As you know, what I do here is take the top 10 teams by record and slot 'em based on how they did that week.  One of my rules is "never punish a winning team".  Another one is "keep Cincinnati out at all costs".

I had to break the latter, because what do you know?  There are only nine good teams in the league this week (and a few of them lost and looked like crap doing so), which means that Cincinnati makes it back in for the first time since...who knows; last year, I guess?

At any rate, the format may well change for next season.  I don't really know; I'm just tired of doing this the way I have been, but that might be a function of my distaste for writing in general.

So there's one more week this season and then the playoffs start.  I'll try to step my game up for the playoffs, but I'm not sure I can guarantee anything.

Here are the Rankings for Week 16:



1.) New England (12-3) [no change]
 The best team in the league scraped past the Jets again.  It was about as unimpressive a win as most of the other teams on this list (and really, the only ones that impressed were Dallas & Seattle).  I mean, 17 points against the Jets, who are terrible?  I don't even know.  And now they have to play Buffalo again, which could mean any number of results is forthcoming.
 Next opponent: vs. Buffalo (12/28)

2.) Green Bay (11-4) [+2]
 Not exactly the return to form that everyone expected.  Yeah, Rodgers threw a TD to Jordy Nelson and Eddie Lacy ran one in...but two TD's against Tampa Bay?  Atlanta put up 56 on the Bucs earlier this season and the Packers (whose "dominance" is now firmly mythical) managed 20.  It's a win, I guess.  And they have a good chance of winning the division.
 Next opponent: vs. Detroit (12/28)

3.) Detroit (11-4) [+3]
 People kept expecting Detroit to implode.  I was one of them and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  They didn't play particularly well against a Bears team starting Jimmy Clausen (seriously, how did that happen...) but did just enough to win.  Now they go to Green Bay for the division...and I can't say I'm terribly confident, despite the Lions winning earlier this season.
 Next opponent: at Green Bay (12/28)

4.) Dallas (11-4) [+3]
 At halftime I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.  The Cowboys were playing at home (where they stink) against a good team with a really good QB.  Their defense is pretty stinky too...and yet they held the Colts to seven points.  Hell, Luck wasn't even the one who scored the TD, it was backup QB Matt Hasselbeck (whose longevity astounds).  The NFC East is theirs thanks to Philly dropping a turd bomb in Washington on Saturday.
 Next opponent: at Washington (12/28)

5.) Seattle (11-4) [+3]
 Solidified their claim on the NFC West by beating the only other team with an actual chance of winning it.  Also, they look really good at the right time.  Not coincidentally, most other teams are not looking as good, so everyone's jumping on the "Seattle Is Invincible" bandwagon.  It didn't work for Green Bay or Denver, but what the hell....
 Next opponent: vs. St. Louis (12/28)

6.) Denver (11-4) [-4]
 After losing in galling fashion on Monday, Denver drops a bit.  Let's face it, Peyton hasn't played well since 11-30 and I doubt a turnaround is going to happen.  Much like Drew Brees, Peyton has hit a wall in 2014.
 Next opponent: vs. Oakland (12/28)

7.) Arizona (11-4) [-4]
 It turns out that playing a third-string QB is undesirable.  Who knew?  Even though Arians is likely the coach of the year, he can't just throw out anyone and have them win a game for him.  I guess only Bill O'Brien can do that.
 Next opponent: at San Francisco (12/28)

8.) Pittsburgh (10-5) [+1]
 Not the most convincing win, but I think it's safe to say they exceeded expectations just by making the playoffs.  And boy, oh boy, could this team be dangerous if they have their shit together.
 Next opponent: vs. Cincinnati (12/28)

9.) Indianapolis (10-5) [-4]
 Ouch, that was rough.  So, it turns out that beating good teams has been a problem for Luck &co.  They haven't really beaten anyone worth a crap and that streak was continued in Dallas, where the Cowboys generally stink.  Good for me, I guess.  For Indy, not so much.
 Next opponent: at Tennessee (12/28)

10.) Cincinnati (10-4-1) [-]
 If I'm still doing this next season, I think I'm going to change from top 10 to a top five/bottom five format.  Why, you ask?  Cincinnati.
 Next opponent: at Pittsburgh (12/28)