December 30, 2014

2014 NFL Power Rankings, Week 17

The 2014 season has ended.  Remember where it began?

It was a Thursday night and Green Bay traveled to Seattle.  I had no idea both teams would be in my top 5 when all was said and done.

The 2014 season was a bit nutty.  There was a lot of off-the-field drama that captured peoples' attention.  Then the games would start and the other nonsense was quickly forgotten.

Truly, there was uproar over various things that occurred off-the-field.  And that uproar was justified.  So for 2015, I hope to see less of that and more talk about the action on the field.

As usual, I'm not sure how I'll cover the playoffs.  I may do something here on NHC...and I may not.

Here are the Rankings for Week 17:



1.) Green Bay (12-4) [+1]
 A minor course correction, I guess.  A couple weeks ago, the Packers were a particularly easy choice at #1.  Even now it's not that difficult, but Rodgers has cooled considerably (thanks to Buffalo).  I doubt we'll see "domination" in the playoffs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the conference championship either.
 Next opponent: to be determined.

2.) Dallas (12-4) [+2]
 It's a fine day when I can put my favorite team near the top of my rankings and not have to explain it away via a set of excuses.  Dallas truly was one of the best teams this season and my hope is that they'll keep it going in the playoffs.
 Next opponent: vs. Detroit (1/4/2015)

3.) Seattle (12-4) [+2]
 The league's hottest team is riding a six-game winning streak and looks prepared to dominate.  So naturally, people are jumping on the bandwagon as quickly as they can.  A lot of peripheral things are in their favor, but it's been proven that they're beatable, just like everyone else.
 Next opponent: to be determined.

4.) New England (12-4) [-3]
 A bit of a drop after not playing to their full capability.  I can't say I blame them for it, but a loss is a loss.  The first-round bye ought to help, though I'm not sure of their prospects as a whole.
 Next opponent: to be determined.

5.) Denver (12-4) [+1]
 Despite Peyton's struggles over the last month of the season, Denver is still one of the good teams and has a bye in the first round.  Their prospects may be a bit murky.
 Next opponent: to be determined.

6.) Pittsburgh (11-5) [+2]
 A surprising division winner given how the season played out.  I thought it'd be Baltimore, but then they screwed it up by losing to Houston.  The injury to Le'Veon Bell could be huge...if he misses the game.
 Next opponent: vs. Baltimore (1/3/2015)

7.) Indianapolis (11-5) [+2]
 Closed out in fine fashion by beating Tennessee.  While that's not a tremendous victory by any means, they're at least going in at a higher temperature than "lukewarm".  I'm expecting big things, but I may be overrating this team.
 Next opponent: vs. Cincinnati (1/4/2015)

8.) Detroit (11-5) [-5]
 Not looking their best, to be sure, and they're going on the road where they're obviously not good.  One good thing for them is that Suh won his appeal.  I don't know how much that'll help.
 Next opponent: at Dallas (1/4/2015)

9.) Arizona (11-5) [-2]
 After Palmer went down, circumstances conspired against this team.  Now they head for the playoffs with Ryan Lindley at QB against a team that really doesn't deserve to be in it (other than winning a crap division).
 Next opponent: at Carolina (1/3/2015)

10.) Baltimore (10-6) [-]
 By the skin of their teeth, really.  On a day when the last AFC playoff spot was getting tossed around like a hot potato, the Ravens were the ones who caught it...eventually.
 Next opponent: at Pittsburgh (1/3/2015)

That's all for this week.  See you next season.