January 1, 2014

Best Metal Albums of 2013

2013 wasn't a great year, for me or for metal.  At some point around May or June, I wasn't even sure I would have a top ten worth trumpeting to anyone.  It was that bad the first six months.  Then, surprisingly, things started picking up.

But I have to emphasize that 2013 was not a good year for metal.  Not only were there disappointments, but there was a lot of overrated crap too.  I won't name-check them, for obvious reasons.

I'll just say that my list probably doesn't look much like any other that's been posted so far.  There may be a couple albums shared between mine and the rest of the metal critics out there.

Now, to the list.  First, a short explanation of the criteria I used to pick these specific albums: riffs and enjoyment.  As a guitarist, the only thing I really listen for (or notice, in some cases) is the amount of riffs the bands in question are throwing into my ears.  Some that other people like, I don't get. I can shrug my shoulders at them and move on to something that I'd rather listen to.  I think enjoyment is also key.  These ten albums are what I really enjoyed listening to most.

But there's also a bit of intuition involved.  For example, the top five were albums that I was damn certain would be there.  This is especially true for the album that ended up being my #1.  More on that below.

That's enough of the generalized rambling.  Let's get a little more specific, shall we?





Five honorable mentions: Dead Awaken, Lycus, Seizures, A Storm of Light, Thrall.

These five really run the gamut of metal's sub-genres.  Seizures bulled their way into my heart thanks to Gavin at Tight to the Nail.  If it weren't for his list, I wouldn't have heard of them.  Dead Awaken is solid death metal with chunky, syncopated riffs.  Lycus is funeral doom that doesn't disappoint or bore me to death.  They have a solid grasp on dynamics and even move the tempo up slightly toward on a couple of occasions.  I reviewed A Storm of Light for Metal Bandcamp.  I still enjoy the no-frills, Mastodon-esque doom that Josh Graham and co. provide.  And finally, there's Thrall.  Their take on black metal draws from other sub-genres but manages to not sound like every other band out there.  It's a weird follow-up to Vermin to the Earth, but that's part of its charm.  That, and the fact that the "bonus" track, "Slaves" is the best of the bunch.

10.) Ævangelist - Omen Ex Simulacra
-It may not be an "easy" album to listen to, but Omen Ex Simulacra certainly has a unique vision behind it.  I still feel like Thorn is throwing the guitarists a bone by including so many riffs, especially in the second half of the album. Their first LP was not nearly as riff-heavy, instead relying on atmosphere and the crushing effect of Thorn's playing on multiple instruments.  So I can say that I was genuinely surprised (and pleased) to hear a track like "Prayer for Ascetic Misery", which slams the listener with syncopated riffs while still maintaining the creepy and unnerving atmosphere the band trades in.  No compromise, no escape.  Listen to Omen Ex Simulacra on Bandcamp.

9.) Pyres - Year of Sleep
-Another record that bulled its way into my heart and mind just recently. It kinda blew up the bottom of the list, actually.  What's so great about it? The sheer quantity and quality of riffs.  Hell, right from the beginning, there's a great drum beat that just drew me in and set me up to get knocked out by the impressive sludge on display.  There's also a degree of subtlety to Year of Sleep that I appreciate; it's not just pummeling the whole way through. After one listen, I was convinced that it was worth buying and worth inclusion here. I'm not sure there's a higher compliment that I can pay to this record.  Listen to Year of Sleep on Bandcamp.

8.) Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
-I think it's safe to say that Inquisition is the standard-bearer for USBM. They certainly don't engender the kind of backlash that Krallice or Wolves in the Throne Room routinely do.  Despite this, there is a not-quite formulaic approach at play in Inquisition's music.  It is a deadly combination of double-stops, string bends, blast beats, and Dagon's croaking vocals.  The last element is the one that most impresses me; not only are they well done, but the vocals are a unique touch, even in a scene that normally eschews second-wave orthodoxy.  I call them the standard-bearer, but it's not like they're leading the way.  They're a quirky offshoot, really.  Obscure Verses... starts off with a couple of tracks much like the previous album before getting weird with the title track and "Spiritual Plasma Evocation".  There are new sounds being thrown into the mix, something that my forthcoming review will explore in greater depth.  Listen to Obscure Verses for the Multiverse on Bandcamp.


7.) The Howling Wind - Vortex
-Before Vortex, I liked The Howling Wind, but I wasn't quite convinced of their greatness.  Now I'm convinced.  This is still mid-tempo black metal, but it has been infused with a greater sense of grandeur that is reflected in the guitar playing.  The riffs played here hit harder than on any of their previous albums. It is more dramatic, more energetic, and a fuller listen front-to-back.  And maybe it should be higher on my list.  Listen to Vortex on Bandcamp.

6.) Sarke - Aruagint
-It's possible I have a thing for supergroups.  It didn't hurt that Aruagint was the best thing I'd heard outside of the top five on this list.  In this case, the massive grooves are what impressed me.  It's unlike what most would associate the word "groove" with.  Check out "Strange Pungent Odyssey" or the opener "Jaunt of the Obsessed".  You'll see that the groove envelops and enforces submission.  Oh, and vocals are done by the inimitable Nocturno Culto.  Clearly, that doesn't hurt (although I can't take "Ugly" seriously as a result).

5.) Zemial - Nykta
-Speaking of genuine surprise, Nykta is exactly the kind of record that I like to hear and is a throwback in 2013.  It's a formidable black/thrash hybrid that reaches back to the early 80's for its inspiration, even when the lead guitar is hearkening back to the 70's.  It is filled with riffs through the first six tracks, even including the lead guitar showcase that is "In the Arms of Hades". There is strong playing on the other instruments too.  Simply put, an inspiring record that does what so many other bands in various metal sub-genres try to do but fail miserably: take the old and make it new and fresh again.  Listen to Nykta on Bandcamp.

4.) Vastum - Patricidal Lust
-Another one that I reviewed at Metal Bandcamp and part of a veritable death metal renaissance.  Honestly, Patricidal Lust isn't incredibly complicated. The dual vocal attack differentiates it, to be sure, but the riffs and drumming are refreshing in their relative simplicity.  Numerous highlights abound, but "Enigma of Disgust" is my favorite due to its arrangement and leads.  Oh, and of course, the riffs.  It's quite incredible the effect a little syncopation can have.  It really draws me into the music that much more.  Listen to Patricidal Lust on Bandcamp.


3.) Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
-When the Providence EP was released in 2011, I took note.  It sounded like a fruitful direction for the band after consecutive disappointments.  For once, I got one right, as Kingdom of Conspiracy brings the riffs from the get-go and doesn't really let up (although "Indoctrinate" and "The Great Sleep" might be a notch below the rest).  Closing track "All That Awaits Us" is the standout. Riffs like the one in the intro are why I listen to metal, and especially death metal.

2.) Owl - You Are the Moon, I Am the Night
-In a year when death metal finally had something to express other than the caverncore or retro bullshit we've been inundated with over the past couple years, Owl stood above all of them, thanks to the incredible title track of their second album.  Don't get me wrong, the other two songs are solid ("Clouds of the Mourning Spring" more than "Memories of Dead Dreams"), and the ambient closer is a welcome oasis of calm after the storm passes.  But really, the strength of this album is the title track and the many riffs it possesses.  Even the lengthy French oration at the end of the track can't derail the momentum, as some of the best riffs in the song are reprised.  What's funny to me is that most of them are quite simple: a couple notes with a bend, maybe some small syncopation, etc.  After a solid but unremarkable S/T debut, Owl really knocked one out of the park.  Listen to You Are the Moon, I Am the Night on Bandcamp.

1.) VHÖL - VHÖL
-The best metal record of 2013.  There are two moments that encapsulate the experience of listening to VHÖL: in opener "The Wall", around 2:30, and "Arising" around the 4-minute mark.  The first is a moment of sublime aggression that takes the song (and the album, really) to a different level before returning back to the main guitar part and the incoming vocals.  That moment in "Arising" sounds like a lead, but the rhythm is far more deliberate, eschewing the tremolo picking that dominates in favor of some jagged chord strumming.  The guitar sounds especially trebly here.  When I was first getting to know the record and absorbing everything it had to offer, one of the things that went through my head was "is this better than Atma, The Tenant, or 17th Street"?  Probably not, but it's still better than anything else I heard in 2013.  Also, I feel like this is just the beginning for the band, and that they'll only get better.  Listen to VHÖL on Bandcamp.

Adios, 2013.  Welcome, 2014.

Thanks again to all the readers, my followers on Twitter, and everyone at Metal Bandcamp.