January 1, 2014

Best Metal EP's of 2013

Since 2013 is ending, I figured it was time to toss my hat into this year-end list nonsense.  First up, ten EP's that I enjoyed this year.  It is by no means comprehensive and the only reason there are this many is that I couldn't really find a reason to leave any of them out.

Ash Borer - Bloodlands
-Two solid tracks of black/doom/whatever else they're throwing into the cauldron.  I reviewed it at Metal Bandcamp.

Deceptor - Chains of Delusion
-An engaging slice of thrash with some soaring vocals.

Fuck the Facts - Amer
-Another one that I reviewed at Metal Bandcamp.  Fuck the Facts brings some serious energy and gets a bit experimental too.

The Gates of Slumber - Stormcrow
-This one is most notable for being the band's final (?) release.  It's free as it was offered by Scion A/V.

Grayceon - Pearl & the End of Days
-The first great release of the year and one that would have charted in my top ten albums, were it padded out to that length.  I reviewed it here at NHC.

Hexvessel - Iron Marsh
-The Finnish folk band led by Kvohst redoes a tune from the first album and generally slays with melody throughout.

Lord Impaler - Babylon Whore
-A destructive blackened duo of tracks from a band whose next release ought to be looked out for.

Mitochondrion - Antinumerology
-A teaser for the black/death band's next LP.  Filthy and atmospheric, just like Parasignosis.

Serpents of Dawn - Burnt Offerings
-First demo from a band featuring current/former members of Acephalix and Vastum.  Doom, if you can believe it, done quite well.

xRepentancex - Demo 2013
-The wild card of the bunch, and one of the few releases to punch me right in the face from the get-go.  Fierce.