December 31, 2013

2013 NFL Power Rankings, Week 17 (SEASON FINALE)

At last, the regular season is over.  This weekend (Saturday & Sunday) is Wild Card weekend, where the top seeds in each conference take a much-needed rest while the other teams battle it out to decide who's going where next week.

It's exciting stuff, but it hardly ever goes the way I want it to.

So, what about the 2013 season?  I didn't really plan out anything, so I don't have "Red's NFL Awards" or some nonsense like that.  That's actually not a bad idea, even if just a blogger nobody really knows (or, God forbid, reads).

At any rate, let's move past my own self-serving nature.

In 2013, Denver was the "most powerful" team, ranking in the top 5 every week I posted a set of Rankings (to wit, I missed Week 7 because I was on vacation).  Seattle was a close second with 14 of a possible 16 weeks in the top 5.  New Orleans and New England weren't too bad either: they were in the top 5 12 out of 16 weeks.  Does this really mean anything for the playoffs? No, not particularly.  It just means they were good in the regular season, especially in Denver's case.  That, and despite the number of teams that finished with 10 or more wins, there were never enough of them at any one time to get Denver out of the top 5, which is quirky if nothing else.

I think the only problem I had with the final week was that Pittsburgh didn't make it into the playoffs.  It was looking good for them up until the 4th quarter of the Chiefs/Chargers game.  Technically, it was looking good for 59:52.  Then in the last 8 seconds, Ryan Succop missed a field goal slightly to the right and the Chargers eventually won in OT.  Chargers are in, Steelers are out.  If it were Pittsburgh going to Cincinnati, I'd bet the house on them. Since it's San Diego (and we have no idea if they can force 4 INT's out of Dalton or take advantage of such a situation if they do, unlike effing Baltimore), I wouldn't bet squat.

Also, the Cowboys finished 8-8 and Jason Garrett is apparently safe.  I'm not sure which of those is more disappointing.

Here are the Rankings for Week 17:

1.) Denver (13-3) [no change]
 They were pretty much the best team from the word "go", the Thursday night opening demolition of the Ravens.  Peyton Manning is the MVP, the only thing to figure out now is who's going to be a rebel and vote for someone else. Oh, and there's the whole playoff lack of success story that will be repeated ad nauseam until he gets another Super Bowl.

2.) Seattle (13-3) [no change]
 Without a doubt the best team in the NFC and damn near unbeatable at home.  Seattle's success is a bit surprising to me, at least, because they have a throwback offense (literally, since they hardly throw the ball downfield and are content to run it with Marshawn Lynch ad infinitum) and attempt to win with defense in a time when neither one ought to work.  Somehow, it does work, and the Seahawks are tied for the best record in the NFL.

3.) Carolina (12-4) [no change]
 Probably the most surprising of the teams in this top 10.  When they started 1-3, I had no expectation of them doing anything good, especially finishing 12-4 and making the playoffs.  They also won the NFC South over the Saints (more on that below).

4.) San Francisco (12-4) [no change]
 Credit is due to Jim Harbaugh, who took a team to a Super Bowl earlier this year and then got them back into the playoffs.  Hard to believe, especially when one considers just how limited that offense is.  Their defense is for real, but Kaepernick can barely throw the ball most days.  The running game is fairly strong, I suppose.  It doesn't interest me, and San Francisco moving on is not something I look forward to.

5.) New England (12-4) [no change]
 Tom Brady had a "bad" year according to most metrics, yet the Pats are 12-4, won their division (again), and get a first-round bye.  Pretty impressive stuff considering the player movement prior to the season and the eventual loss of Rob Gronkowski.  Are they going to win the Super Bowl?  Probably not, but it's not like I expect them to lose to anyone other than Denver, either.

6.) Indianapolis (11-5) [+2]
 Some expected a bit of a step back from the Colts in Luck's second year.  I was not one of those people.  In fact, I wondered aloud just what would prevent them from winning the AFC South.  The answer is nothing, because none of the other three teams put up anything resembling a fight.  I guess Tennessee is the closest, but that's not saying much.  They also get a rematch with the Chiefs in the first round, which should mean another win, but like I said above, these things hardly ever work out how I want them to.

7.) New Orleans (11-5) [+2]
 I expected more from the Saints, really.  To finish 11-5 and second in their division is pretty disappointing to me.  They whupped Carolina at home (as expected), but their road performances were all sorts of terrible.  They didn't show up at Seattle and played poorly in Jersey, St. Louis, Carolina, and Tampa (yet somehow won that one due to typically moronic Bucs nonsense).  It's hard to believe they actually went to Chicago and won, but that did happen. I don't know what to think of the Saints now.  They're stuck with the 6th seed and given how they've played on the road lately, their chances of advancement have to be in the 0-10% range.  This is particularly galling because Drew Brees is one of the few bonafide elite QB's in the game today, he's got weapons galore, a decent if unspectacular running game, and a defense that is opportunistic and quite good.  So basically, I'm throwing my hands up and walking away.

8.) Kansas City (11-5) [+2]
 A meaningless game (for them) results in the Chargers making the playoffs. The fall is more cosmetic than anything.

9.) Cincinnati (11-5) [-]
 I had to let the Bengals back in thanks to them winning the AFC North and being flat-out better record-wise than Green Bay or San Diego.  That said, I don't expect much out of this team, unless you count INT's and general buffoonery.  And an inevitable loss in either the Wild Card or Divisional Round.

10.) Philadelphia (10-6) [no change]
 Philly won the NFC East by beating Dallas in Jerryworld.  As expected, they took advantage of a late turnover to seal it.  At least this time it was Orton and not Romo.  I guess that's something.  At any rate, Philly might actually be dangerous.  I don't expect them to go into Seattle and win, necessarily, but I think they'd make a game of it since they can actually play offense (unlike Carolina or San Francisco).  However, their defense is not great. Actually, it's probably not even "good".  I don't think that's a problem if they're putting up 40 or more.  But can they put up 40 or more against the defenses they could potentially face?

That's all for this season.  I'm always unsure as to how I'll cover the playoffs, or if there's actually a point to it.  That said, if I do post anything, it'll be here on NHC, likely after all the games have been played next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment