June 6, 2014

2014 NBA Playoffs, Day 40

The NBA Finals get started!  A joyous time, even with the dog days just ahead of us.

Game 1: Miami vs. San Antonio.

After the third quarter, it was looking good for Miami.  The 1st quarter was uneven, at best, but they had outscored the Spurs in the 2nd and 3rd and had a lead.

Then something awfully odd happened.

No, it wasn't the A/C going out.  That happened earlier.  I mean LeBron James going out with cramps.

Since I have no medical training or athletic ability, or anything else that might qualify me to speak intelligently, really the only thing I can call it is odd.  I don't recall seeing anything like that before, and I've been watching basketball seriously for over 20 years.

My memory isn't the best, but still.  Something like this stands out. Naturally, so does the A/C going out.  That really seemed to affect both teams, but it appears to have affected LeBron the most.  Or maybe that's a cheap out. Like I said, I have no clue, really.

What I do know is that Miami wilted in the 4th.  They scored 17 points total. Danny Green of the Spurs, on the other hand, was on fire, hitting three three-pointers and adding a nasty dunk on top of it.  A deficit for the Spurs turned into a 15-point victory.

A close game turned into what looks like a blowout.  This is not what happens to Miami, especially in these playoffs.  Miami is usually the one hitting 4th (or 5th) gear and running straight away from the competition.  Last night, they were the ones left behind.  It wasn't pretty, to say the least.

Tim Duncan was also incredibly efficient.  He missed one shot from the field. I mean, I know the guy is a surefire Hall of Famer, but even still, that's not something you see every day.  He finished with 21 points and 10 rebounds.

Miami really has no answer for Duncan, but they ought to be able to corral Parker and Ginobili a bit more successfully.

I don't think this game has much of an implication on the rest of the series. It's going at least six, if not seven.  And I'm still confident that Miami will pull it out in the end.

San Antonio leads 1-0.  Game 2 is Sunday.

Usually I would bemoan the extra days between games when no travel is involved, but in this case, it may prove beneficial...to both teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment