November 1, 2013

Vegas! - Day 3

We really had no idea what we wanted to do on Day 3.  I had steadfastly avoided any and all tourist-y crap (besides the Strip, which has to be seen no matter what) but was at a loss for something to do.  So we decided to hit up Hoover Dam and Lake Mead.  As it turns out, the natural wonders really are the best things to see, even if there are a ton of people around.

We commenced somewhat early, though probably not as early as the previous couple of days.  The first thing to do was stop for supplies.  It doesn't pay to be all the way out there with no water, after all.  With that finished, we headed down the highway toward the dam.  It's a scenic route, made more so by stopping through Boulder City.  It's a bit slower that way, but well worth it to see the shops and whatnot.

Once we arrived at the Pat Tillman Bridge, we got out and trekked upward so we could get a good view of the dam.  I had my cell phone out and snapped a couple of photos.  Surprisingly, there were a lot of people there, walking around and taking pictures for the most part.  They were all over the bridge, too.  Looking out from the bridge to the dam was pretty awe-inspiring.  What was even cooler was driving over the dam and seeing the bridge from the other side.  It looms large, maybe not quite like a skyscraper, but certainly a monument to man's ambition and perseverance.

The next place to see for us was Lake Mead.  Technically, we only saw part of the lake on this day; it stretches and moves up and around in an odd way that I didn't expect.  I guess there are different names for the parts that extend outward from the actual lake that we were looking at.  Most of that water is going to Los Angeles, a fact that I found a bit disturbing.

On our way back to the city, my friend proposed a side jaunt to Lake Las Vegas.  It's a fairly small area that is set off from the rest of the city, but has tremendous views, apparently.  There were far fewer people there, a fact that I appreciated.  There was supposed to be more development (and thus more people) but the economic crash/collapse/whatever prevented that.  Still, it's a nice place to be and if I had the money, I'd certainly consider it.  The lake water was a bit brown, though.

Finally, we were ready to eat, so I suggested we hit up the buffet at Green Valley Ranch.  My friend had mentioned sometime before that their pizza was the best he'd had in the city.  Naturally, I wanted to try it.  So what did I do? I had five pieces and basically ruined the next day.  Alas, these things happen, I suppose.

After stuffing our faces, we headed back to the hotel.  My friend had a test to prepare for and went off to do just that.  I was a bit lost at that point, as I had no idea what I wanted to do.  I knew that there'd be a football game later on, but I had some time to kill.

Eventually, I went downstairs to watch the game on a bigger screen.  Nothing against the TV in my room, but I needed something with HD and more size. Of course, that point was moot as the game was terrible.  But even terrible football is improved by watching it on a screen that dwarfs your entire body.

My friend finished up and I was still sitting in front of the giant screens.  Since we had nothing better to do, it was time for a drink.  I went with a Bud Light and then a Newcastle.  A surprisingly good combo.

We eventually went back up to the room with our drinks in hand.  There we saw the end of the game (still a piece of crap) and planned our next move. Day 4 was the long-awaited trip to the Valley of Fire, but we had to get an early start once again.  More on that and what I saw there next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment