May 10, 2014

2014 NBA Playoffs, Day 21

Is it too soon to say that teams are starting to take control of their second round matchups?

Maybe, but I'll say it anyway.  Or allude to it, at least.

First, Indiana vs. Washington.

Okay, say it with me, people:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH.

My goodness, but that was something ugly.

Washington somehow ended up with 63 points for the entire game.  The Clippers had that much by halftime, and the Thunder were close behind with 61.

Of course, the keyword most people will point to is "defense".  That's nice, but I think the better word/phrase is "missed shots".

As I pointed out a couple days ago when Indiana evened up the series, on the back of Roy Hibbert's 28 points, something probably happened that will allow the Pacers to win this series.

I'm still not sure what that was, but the Pacers were the sleeping giant of the second round and that win (and Hibbert's 28 in particular) woke them from a slumber that lasted months.

Before the series started, I figured that Washington would win in five.  If things continue as they have for the last two games, it'll be Indiana in five.

Once again, yeesh.

Indiana leads 2-1.  Game 4 is Sunday.

Last, Oklahoma City vs. Los Angeles.

Like I said above, at halftime it was 63-61, LA.  So obviously, this was a better game.

At least, it's a better game if you actually like seeing teams score.  I think that's the point of basketball.  Who knows, though.

Unfortunately for the Clippers, their offense wasn't quite as potent in the second half.  OKC outscored them and ended up winning by six.

Kevin Durant and Blake Griffin were the high scorers with 36 and 34, respectively.  But I'd also like to point out how efficient Westbrook was. He filled out the stat sheet while only taking 14 shots.  That's the way, sir.

Also, I'd like to add my tiny voice to whoever else is bemoaning the double technical as a way of ending scrums.  Then again, that little tiff between Durant and Chris Paul in the first half wasn't so much a scrum as a game of keep away.  Either way, Durant and Paul were both assessed technicals and the refs look wishy-washy.

Excellent job.  As you were.

Seriously though, the double technical thing needs to be scrapped and the initiator needs to be the only one getting the T.  It was obvious by the tenor of the "confrontation" (a word I'm using quite loosely) that nothing bad was going on or was going to occur.

This is not likely to change, but I thought I'd put my two cents in anyway. I would never want the refereeing to take precedence over the play on the court, most of which has been excellent.

Oh, and I think Serge Ibaka deserves a golf clap for hitting 9-of-10.  That kind of efficiency (even if he's close to the rim most of the time, he can stretch the floor too) should be praised more often than it is.

Oklahoma City leads 2-1.  Game 4 is Sunday.

Later today, Game 3 in Brooklyn and Portland.  Miami and San Antonio are such killjoys, going up 2-0, aren't they?  Hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment